Wednesday 18 July 2012

Picture Book Decoupage Desk


As with so many projects, this started with nothing on tv, an empty wallet, a $2 Scout Auction purchase and a promise to Nan to do something about that dreadful desk, dear. The craft room is picture-book themed, with a memorial frame for Stories Bookshop, a quote from Neil Gaiman’s poem Instructions and illustrations hanging on the walls.


So, in the absence of illicit drug use or brain damage, why did it take me an hour to figure out that hey, maybe I should decorate with a picture book? I picked one of my favourites, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day. Ironically, it almost became a terrible, horrible, no good very bad day, because Zoe's scanner drivers don't work with Windows 7 so I spent three hours trying to come up with an alternate way of making it work, then eventually gave up, photocopied the book pages, pieced them together and hoped for the best.


"He also said to watch out for the books on his desk, and I was careful as could be except for my elbow." I always related to this one - my elbows went off on frolics of their own, too.
‘Best’ is not exactly what I got, but it’s better than a whack on the nose with a rusty poker. Which is what I would have got if Nan had found out I still hadn’t painted a year and a half later.

No comments:

Post a Comment